Tuesday, August 22, 2006

If You Can Read This, You Are Blogging Too Close



I believe things. Some of my beliefs, while shared by others, are clearly insane. Like the belief that Blogger, angry with me for posting all those damned Big Sur pictures, had specifically decided NOT to let me post the picture of the pile of dog hair that was the result of a bi-weekly Swiffering of our house. So I intended to post the picture of me eating koshkalosh (a shishkebab) outside the Financial District in New York last February (because it makes me happy), but then I ran across my favorite picture of our visit to Old Salem (historic 18th Century village) with niece Cayla back in April (same reason).

I believe there is a God. But I also believe that God doesn't want us necessarily to figure out who God is or what He/She is up to. I thusly belive that, when people go around claiming they have it figured out, He/She reaches down asnd gives those folks' heads a stir. Which is why religioso types are so generally screwed up.

I believe faith is something we all have, couldn't live without, and most of us wouldn't recognize if it were plucked from our souls and waved in front of our shocked faces. Anyone (Ann Coulter) who claims that there are people who are without faith is a dumb bitch who thinks it's funny to pick on cripples.

I believe that people who claim they have a greater or stronger faith than others are compensating because they feel deep down that they are stupid and inadequate. This belief comes from the long habit of observing people who claim to have a greater or stronger faith than others, up close and at a distance.

I believe that making other people feel good is the highest calling anyone can have. Which means that all politicians are going to Hell automatically.

(I don't actually believe in hell.)

I don't believe in pre-destination-- I cannot bring myself to believe that anyone was born any one thing, but rather that we all are thrown into this world, and it forms us-- except that we are hard wired to appreciate the weather, which is why some of us get all cheery with blue skies and green trees and puffy clouds, while other people are more comfortable under heavy, gray, overcast skies and intermittent rain. I do not know why I believe that.

I believe in evolution, but I know that archeological sciences are, as science, bullshit.

I believe that we were created by a supreme being, but I don't think that rules out evolution. The people who came up with this whole notion that evolution cancelled out divine creation were fighting to hang on to the notion of divine right, that the people who rule were designated by God. So they were bullshit artists who had a vested interest in making sure that the powers that be remained the powers that be, end of story, next question.

I believe that God wants us to be good scientists; not take things for granted, not go on blind faith, find out how much of what we are being told by our Fellow Man is balderdash. And I know that all of religion and everything in history weighs against the notion, but that's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

I believe I'll finish my sandwich now.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe in sandwiches

12:00 PM  
Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

Holy shit Jimbo! I thought I was the only one that wondered why Evolution and Creationism had to be mutually exclusive.

I believe I'll go get a Coke.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Doc Nagel said...

Strangely, I don't believe in sandwiches, which is why I eat them.

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home