Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Voter's Rights

So I did it. I went and voted. Not that it does any good.

I voted for a few judges I like. I think that is very important, to vote for judges you like when you have the chance. This is based on the careful observation that most judges, either through having pursued the rank of Judge or having had the unpleasant necessity thrust upon them, are assholes.

I voted for our local Rep, whom I have met, and I can honestly say is as nice a schmuck as one could hope for in a Rep.

I didn't get to vote against the plastic, fakey, wrinkled bitch who Reps the other part of town, but I did vote, so I still take it as my right to complain that she is a fakey bitch with no one's best interests in mind, maybe not even her own, and I take consolation in the fact that, as the years go on, she looks less and less like the Wicked Witch of the West and more and more like the Cryptkeeper.

I voted for two guys to help protect our land lotsa land under starry skies above. Pray God they do so.

I voted for money to build low-to-moderate-income housing. I do that despite the fact that the incompetent assholes who run the programs around here have, traditionally, chosen to insult the poor by providing insultingly bad housing and encouraging crime by making sure the insulting housing is nowhere near anywhere the poor might find opportunity to work. I hope that will change. Hope springs eternal.

I voted for money to fix the roads. I like a good road, I do.

I voted for money for neighborhood improvements. I figure why the hell not. So long as they're taking my money, I guess I will try to make them spend it on more-or-less joyful things.

The long view, the media view, is that the elections this year will send a message to the administration that they're wrong about some things. Like the Iraq thing. All the evidence so far insists that the Admin is deaf, dumb and blind, couldn't find it's asshole with both hands, and couldn't tell a kiss from a kick in the head. But the media, at least, are hopefull. Hope springs eternal.

But the schmucks are schmucks, and will always be schmucks. And that's politics. Hell, I can feel free to say so, now, today. After all, I voted.

3 Comments:

Blogger Doc Nagel said...

Having read your blog entry, I see now very clearly a fundamental problem with the elections cycle in the United States. While, as you write, "hope springs eternal," in fact, we vote in fall. So if we were to be totally accurate about this, we'd have to say that hope falls eternal. It doesn't sound nearly as good that way, somehow.

Vote early! Vote often! Bring your photo ID! Be sure to check the summary sheet generated by the voting machine if you vote in Broward County, FL, because the touch-screens there are known to be switching votes around! And if you vote where the touch-screen doesn't produce any paper record, trust the manufacturer and the voting officials!

9:52 AM  
Blogger Shari said...

Hey! I voted for schmucks, too!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

Figues.

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home