Thursday, February 01, 2007

Oh, The Weather Outside Is Frightful



So this is slush. This is the most common form of snow in the lower Piedmont of North Carolina. What you are actually looking at here is my dog's paw-prints in the slush next to the driveway. She is sad right now because she loves snow, and the weather can't decide whether it wants to be snow or rain. Rain seems to be winning at the moment.






And this is my Miata. Nomi isn't going anywhere today, because we don't have to. You will notice the definite absence of Minis in the drive. This is because the Wifey is as stalwart soul as ever there were in Corporate America, and went in to work despite the slush.



Not that it isn't pretty. And useful. It allowed me to use my urban tracking skills to determine that the mailman has already been by.


Scoff if you will, but as you can see, given the level of activity in the cul de sac this morning, it was no mean task.


And what did the mailman bring us? Yet another edition of The New Yorker. A while back, we got caught up in some buy-a-magazine-or-the-kid-gets-it scheme, and we decided that we could peruse The New Yorker for a while. And I have been enjoying it, for the most part. Except that the first issue was some kind of mega first-of-the-year, more-content-than-you-can-take-in-in-a-year issue. The next issue didn't show up for another two weeks, by which time the Wifey had thoroughly given up on the first issue, while I had decided I would read this one long short story come hell or high water, even though the Wifey had assured me that the destination was in no way worth the journey. Since then, they have been showing up week to week to week, with the result that the Wifey has still thoroughly given up on them, while I have found that I can save alot of time by skipping the "happenings" sections up front (since I don't actually live in Manhattan, and, subsequently, don't really give a rat's ass about what's going on where), and that I can still tell, within a few paragraphs, whether the author is worth reading or just some pretentious wanker who deserves to be serially ignored by all and sundry.

1 Comments:

Blogger Doc Nagel said...

It's enough to make a body miss real weather. There are, in fact, seasons in this part of California (spring, summer, searing, and squelch), but nothing like parts East.

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home