Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Battle Of Chili-Cheese Hill

SO HOW THE HELL is it this is the only picture I have of chili cheese tots?

You may have already guessed that this is not the lunch of the day. This is the lunch of last January 10th, or so says the info log tag that popped up when I buzzed the image with my cursor. Today's lunch was alot like this, only slightly prettier. (The lunch of the day pics have been suspended temporarily, as my sister-in-law borrowed the camera to take Halloween pics of her kids, and we haven't got the thing back yet.) Today's lunch also included a selection from Saranac's winter variety pack, a vanilla stout. Based solely on that, I can say, wholeheartedly: if you get Sara in your area, do. I followed it with the Sara IPA, which was just ludicrous, but went down well enough anyways.

The not the movie of the day, well, I guess it wasn't a movie to begin with. I did see it the first time around, on HBO, one hour a week. Today, in honor of Veterans' Day, HBO is showing the entire series, back to back, all day long. And while I could-- was going to-- write about why the Band of Brothers series was better--a more compelling narrative structure, more coherent source work, a clearer through line of history-- and while I could-- and was going to-- explain why that was not a fault of the series-- the nature of the war in the Pacific Theater, for soldier and sailor alike, was more chaotic, less episodic, and more obscenely punishing-- and while I could-- and was going to-- write about how I had to start watching other things after about three and a half fairly solid hours of this, it dawned on me the HBO is airing this ten-part, ten-hour-long series, back to back, in its brutal entirety, as a run up to the premier of its new feature Wartorn: 1861-2010.

Which is about battle fatigue and post traumatic stress syndrome. On some level, that's just inappropriate.

And I don't know if it makes it worse or not, but following that: HBO First Look: 127 Hours.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home