Sunday, September 02, 2007

Damn Straight I Got 'em

" . . . Any sneaker conglomerate will tell you they don't make them like they used to. This is fact. Don't be fooled, even re-issued models are made differently now, with mass produced, inferior leather compared to their originally issued counterparts." --Bobbito Garcia, Where'd You Get Those: New Yor Sneaker Culture, 1960-1987

Behold: the Nike Oregon Waffles. Sure, they're re-issues, but these are the real thing. I found out less than a week ago they had been re-issued, and yesterday I got 'em.

Note to fellow purists: the re-issues come "weathered," with yellowing on the foam insole and laces that look like they've been peed on. A little sneaker shampoo and a new pair of strings do the trick. Good as . . . well, new.

2 Comments:

Blogger something said...

Yeah my shoes are cool . . . oh and yeah those are just some of my degrees hanging on the wall too . . . Dr. Schol's thinks he's a doctor, but I'm the real deal.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

Actually, only one of those is mine-- Baccalaureate in English-- the other two are my wife's, Baccalureate in History, Associate in Arts, Associate in Applied Sciences. We are not doctors. We just like to play doctor.

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home