Thursday, July 17, 2008

Book of Revelations, Chapter 3: Footwear

MWUH-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA! THEY ARE MINE! THEY ARE MINE NOW!!!!

So I spent all day yesterday waiting for FedEx to deliver these, and the driver finally showed up at 6:23 last night. (The time stands out because I was smack dab in the middle of feeding the dog her evening treat of deli-sliced turkey. Is she spoiled? How deep is the ocean?) As I knew to begin with, the SL72's are pretty substantial shoes, and they are going to require some breaking in. They are canvas tops, but they were designed for an olympic park which-- if memory serves-- was structured mostly on concrete, so the under-sole is extra substantial, and is attrached to the upper via a leather under-cradle. Progress report: the right shoe is coming along nicely, after a couple of bouts of lace-adjusting. The left one, well, let's just say I'm still working on it.

Which brings to mind a couple of revelations:

1. I vastly prefer canvas top shoes, specifically nylon canvas uppers, and I tend not to like leather shoes as much at all. There are several exceptions to this rule, notably the 2 pair of Adidas Samoas I own, and two pair of Nike Oregon Waffles, one in black and grey suede with purple swoosh (the Batman shoes) and one in black leather with yellow swoosh (the Official shoes, Official as in referee).

2. I have no allegiance, when it comes to shoe brands. I own Adidas, Pumas, Nikes, and Tigers, all of whom were at each others' throats back in the 70's and 80's, when sports were becoming big business. Eh. I like 'em all, for completely different reasons, and they all have their own best uses.

3. I have been searching for the Ford Prefect quote "Never underestimate the value of good footgear" for ages, and I cannot find it for the life of me. (From, I thought, Douglas Adams' novel Mostly Harmless.) Perhaps I dreamed it.

4. These new shoes, although not entirely in blue suede, will henceforth in this household be know as The Ford Prefects. I am sure that, were he not fictional, Ford would entirely agree.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger anika said...

Your new TFP's are very cool.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Jacquie said...

wow.. you may be more into shoes than my hubby, which I didn't think was possible? How long do you spend browsing shoes.com???

Nice kicks!

10:37 AM  
Blogger tiff said...

For some reason I love the shoe posts.

Hours spent LACING? What's that all about?

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home