Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Embgellishments & Grace Notes

A coupla months back, in one of my perenial Ramen noodle experiments, I added leftover barbecued rib meat, oven baked, to the soup, with delightful results. This inspired today's concoction, which you see here: Ramen noodles with snow peas and . . . Canadian bacon.



I know what you're thinking, or at least you should be: That's wrong. Just . . . wrong. But wait! Let me explain.



Canadian bacon is essentially a low-impact ham. So this is a preserved pork, which is not at all uncommon to Asian cuisine. Also, I woked the ham and snow peas with sliced garlic and peanut oil while the noodles boiled, and let the mix rest while I fixed the soup and added the requisite soy and chili-garlic sauce. Then I slung the stuff together and VOILA! It reminded me a bit of something I picked up in New York's Chinatown once many years ago, but only in a vague way. Still, it did make for quite a satisfying lunch.


Still didn't really go well with the beer, which once again was the Kona Longboard Lager. I still can't quite say why, but Ramen noodles, as far as I am concerned, just don't go with beer. Can't say why.

The film of the day was going to be A Night To Remember, but, eh. I know why I like it, but I don't feel like defending it. And it also begs a larger question, that of whether James Cameron's Titanic was a masterwork or a travesty. I mean, the reason I think it might be the latter-- the special effects, the scope, the depiction of the rising disaster-- are wholly at odd with the reasons that it became the biggest box office grosser in history, which is the bullshit romance Cameron tacked on and the treacly framing device and those cockememe Riverdance scenes down in steerage where all the Noble Poor are getting justifiably out of their skulls on Guinness. I'm the king of the wooooooorld!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home