Friday, December 05, 2008

This Is Getting Redundant

NOT ONLY do we have, as today's lunch, more egg-laden noodles, but we also have as out subject some re-commentary based on previous photos of lunchal items. Didn't I tell you? Redundant, but, I hope, not dull.

The first comment I will deal with would be from Tiff (BTW, Tiff, the reason I never comment on yer blog is that by the time I get there, you've already got 13 comments and somebody has always-- ALWAYS-- already said what I was going to say; I kid you not, it's like voodoo), which was that the previous outing of noodles and eggs, which had twice the egg of any previous sample, was either genius or madness. The second comment, which came from my arch nemesis Annikins, and came some months ago, expressed astonishment and, I think, admiration at the notion of having eggs and beer. And, to be doubly perverse, not only have I listed the matters in reverse chronological order, I am going to discuss the one I have labelled second first, so that I might not even have bothered switching up the order in the first place. It's a service I provide.



Eggs and beer is something that dates all the way back to my high school years. I think the first time was while making an omlette at two in the morning, after a late jam session with a musician pal or while watching back to back Twilight Zone episodes on PBS. The natural thing would have been to have coffee, but, I figured, if I was going to sleep at all that night, coffee might not be the best thing. So I had beer. It seemed pretty natural; I think the omlette contained, at least, cheddar cheese, onions, black olives, and ham. And it worked. In later years I would conclude that having bacon and eggs for lunch was a perfectly acceptable thing, leading to many a micro-lecture from my mother on the wisdom of consuming such large amounts of cholesterol ("You'll shoot your eye out!"). And on those outings, almost always a Saturday thing, beer seemed the ideal mealtime libation. So yes: eggs and beer. I heartily recommend it, so long as a) you like eggs, and 2. you like beer.



Part of the reason I started this whole taking-pictures-of-my-lunch bit was the enormity my lunches had started taking on. This is something that has mitigated in recent memories. Not that I am not having hearty lunches, nor to say that the era of pound-and-a-half sandwiches is over, but, clearly, Ramen noodles don't make for the heartiest meal. Thus the inclusion of eggs. (Thus, ironically, the exclusion of beer. If I'm having beer with lunch I think it ought to be something solid and substantial. Don't ask me why. I have a couple of rationals for it, but none of them make a whole hell of alot of sense.) Back when Ramen noodles first entered my universe, boiled egg was actually one of the serving suggestions on the back of the packet (another of which was chicken, which, amusingly, after a short period of time turned into "cooked chicken," and then into "COOKED chicken," and then into "cooked meats," with a variety of icons meant to represent chicken, beef, pork, and as near as I could tell, midget). Taking the suggestion at face value lead to some forays into egg drop soup, some successful and others not so much, but I never seriously considered adding the boiled egg to the Ramen noodles until fairly recently. The result is both interesting and benign. The egg adds substance and flavor, but complements the soup and anything you used to spice it up. This example had a quartered egg added to shrimp flavor Ramen with soy and chili garlic sauce, which was just lovely. The species Tiff had actually commented on had two quartered eggs in "oriental" flavor Ramen with two types of soy sauce (a regular dark and an extra dark sushi soy). Tiff was right to be skeptical. That was a strange, strange balance, but it worked out alright. I am sure I will do it again sometime, but I don't know that I can reccomend it

THIS, I can recommend. I have run across it twice, both times completely by accident, so I have yet to see it from the absolute beginning, but it is the neatest collection of talking head testimonials, antecdotes, outakes, observations, quips, and out and out andmissions of guilt by actors, directors, producers, and other Hollywood players I have ever seen. (Which isn't saying much. It's hard to come across such a thing that isn't 90% self-agrandisement.) It's also largely under the radar. There's no atricle for it at Wikipedia, the folks at the Onion AV Club have yet to review it, and when I asked Blockbuster Online to find it, it first ate my browser before reporting that it knew of no such thing. The only place I have found any mention of it at all is at HBO itself. Which is just,well, weird. But then, HBO. From what I've heard, HBO is peopled with weirdos.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Doc Nagel said...

Where the hell do you get midget flavored ramen? All we ever find out here is "Oriental" flavor.

4:46 PM  
Blogger anika said...

Well ...I do like eggs (except when I find a piece of shell in them when I'm eating them. Ick!) ... And I LOVE beer. So perhaps I will try this peculiar concoction one day ...

12:57 PM  
Blogger tiff said...

Midget flavored Ramen.

All's right with the world.

6:23 AM  
Blogger You know...B said...

Beer goes with everything, wait, uh, yes, Beer goes with everything. And if you think it does not...just have the beer. It also goes great with nothing!

11:24 AM  
Blogger You know...B said...

Beer goes with everything, wait, uh, yes, Beer goes with everything. And if you think it does not...just have the beer. It also goes great with nothing!

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home