Thursday, November 06, 2008

Reaction Shot


SO YESterday, in a cele- bratory mood, I threw caution to the wind and ordered the rib platter at my favorite local joint. Although it made for a pricey meal-- about 35 bucks after over-tipping my pal/waitress/barmaid Holly-- it meant that today I had about a third of the rack left over for lunch, which I supplemented with fried dumplings with hoisin sauce and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Delish.
The movie of the day was Michael Clayton, which I love. I mean, Clooney, Tilda Swinton, Tom Wilkinson, and Syd Pollack, God rest his soul. Oh, and of course, Michael O'Keefe, whom you probably don't remember as Danny Newnan in Caddyshack. And, well, hell, everybody else. Great performances. I love it. I don't care if the sourcework is bullshit, which it may or may not be. And when I say "movie of the day," I mean that I watched the latter half this morning over my coffee, and then it was on again when I got back from procuring beer for lunch.
Yesterday's celebratory mood was due to the election being over. I was ready for it to be over weeks ago. And yeah, my guy won-- I voted for Obama-- but it's not like I had been out marching in the streets; I just voted, that's all. I was just glad it was over. 2000, anyone? And then we re-elected the dumbass in '04, despite the fact that everybody knew we were waging war on the wrong country for no good reason anyone was able to unearth, so that didn't help much. Which brings me to my analysis of why McCain lost: Obama was good, but the real problem was that McCain simply wasn't nasty enough to get the Republicans energized.
And Palin, after all, is really too dumb to be effectively nasty. Not only is it hard to trust that she believes anything, it's impossible to tell whether she knows what she is saying or is just reading cue cards.
And this is me after the election is over. Over and done, no bitching, no recounts, just done. Yay democracy. Oh, and we had a near record tunrout, something over 60% of eligibles voting? Yeah. THAT I like. Thus the celebratory ribs.
And then there's this. In case you don't feel like clicking the link, or in case the story's no longer there or whatever, basically a family in Pleasanton, CA, had their Obama sign razored, their tires slashed, and their house spray painted with profanity. AFTER the election.
I'm an American. I'm a patriot. I believe that this is the greatest country on earth. But crap like that almost makes me wanna move.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Doc Nagel said...

Ah, Pleasanton. Stay classy.

Yay democracy indeed. Ted Stevens was re-elected, but since convicted felons can't serve in the Senate, the governor of Alaska will have to name someone to serve the term. Wonder who...

8:49 PM  
Blogger Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

Ah, crap. You hadda bring that up?

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home