Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Put 'em In A Room Together And Let 'em Fight It Out

SO TODAY's lunch is grilled turkey and bacon on rye with mustard and three cheeses-- white American, provalone and cheddar-- largely because I wanted to use the last of the package of provalone before it went bad, and because I wanted to get closer to opening a new package of white American. It was going to be a turkey and bacon on rye with dill havarti, but the local Harris Teeter had but a single brand of the stuff, which I tought to be both over-priced and inferior in texture. So I settled on some sharp cheddar, which I have recently discovered-- referrence the previous incarnations of the grilled tuna salad on rye-- go remarkably well with grilled rye bread. Or say re-discovered, I suppose. It should come to no revelation to anyone who has previously dined on the American oddity know and the patty melt.

The revalatory element here is the ketchup sans hot sauce. No. The revalatory element here is the combination of beers. Never mind how I came about aquiring the Longhammer IPA; following it with the Saranac IPA was just astounding. The Longhammer has, as I have previously noted, a lovely, elegant, flowery high hop note, and the Saranac after was absolutely bold by comparison. The combination was just grand, stunning.

The film of the day was Appaloosa.

Eh.

It was recommended to me by the friendly neighborhood mailman, if memory serves; I had seen a good five minute stretch or so awhile back, concluding that this was something I ought to see in whole. So today I happened to stumble on it right before it kicked off, two o'clock, smack dab in the middle of lunch, so I tuned it in.

Eh. It's a morality play. Bob Parker plays ducks 'n' drakes with the mythology of the old West to answer the immortal question: just what makes a hero not an asshole? And if she's "purty," is any woman ever really an asshole, really? HAH!? In this sense it is also very much an Ed Harris flim*: all heroes are ultimately flawed. See!?! Pollack? Flawed. Beethoven? Flawed. Old West Justice? Flawed. Nicely written though; Vigo gets some really choice lines especially. And everyone in it acquits him/herself nicely. Still, pretty much seen what it has to offer, and, as near as I can tell, anything it has to offer that I have not seen already is pretty much all bullshit. Damn those Indians! They are so noble and so savage!!!**

PS: The title of this post comes from a Stephen Wright gag: "For Christmas I got both a humidifier AND a dE-humidifier. So I put 'em both in the same room together and let 'em fight it out."

PPS: and then about 3/4 of the way through, the HBO service cut out. Since the Wifey works for the cable monster, we get a gabazillion channels, so I often feel I have no real right to complain on those rainy days when the cable service goes all futzy and half to 80% of the movie channels are not available or just plain go blank. It came back after a few minutes. I didn't seem to have missed much of anything.

*Intentional. Partially based on a series of typo-derived gags Doc Nagel and I have developed over the years, same way a work in progress, rather than being a poem, is a pram. Both of these actually derive from Monty Python gags.

**SARCASM!!! You can either waste two hours watching the thing to see what I mean by that or take my word that it's funny. Taking my word may be the less painful way to go, paradoxical as that might sound.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home