Sunday, March 26, 2006

The Reward


So, after two and a half weeks, I got my first paycheck from my seasonal job I'm not supposed to tell you anything about. So I bought a new guitar. This makes seven. Three acoustic twelve strings, a classical, an electric, a three-quarter size student six that's actually my wife's, and, now, an electric twelve string. This isn't the best picture of it, but the Wifey gets incredibly intolerant of my exuberance when I get a new guitar, so rather than wait until I managed to sneak the latest pics off the digital camera's card, I just went with what I had.

I bought it at the local Guitar Center. I have almost officially forgiven Guitar Center. They sponsor lots of save-the-music type programs, they do alot to make instruments available to those who otherwise might not have access to them, and they do seem to hire people who know at least something about guitars. On the down side, they are loud, they are warehouse-like, and, as the Wifey observed, full of people who are trying to be cooler than each other.

(And playing guitar, loudly, trying to drown each other out. I don't. I toddle off to a corner and try to decide if it's love.)

This machine, an OLP MM12, I first saw at the GC some months back. I had been dreaming of an electric 12 for years, and this one looked enticing, but I was skeptical, since I had never laid hands on an OLP that I could keep in tune for more than ten minutes. I always ascribed this to the funky-shaped head, with four tuners on one side and two on the other. The 12 has seven tuners above and five below, which seemed like it might offer a better balance. Still, I didn't give the thing a spin that visit.

The second time I saw it, about a month ago, I picked it up and stroked it a bit. It felt good, but I still wasn't sold.

As that first paycheck loomed, I thought about the OLP more and more. Yesterday we traipsed out there-- and it's a longish traipse, all the way across town, literally on the other side of town from us-- and I got a sales guy to locate the thing, plug it up, and let me try it out. It was love, but not for the reason it probably should have been. I mean, it sounded great, and it felt about right, and it is very pretty, but that wasn't it.

See, it needed rescuing.

When I got it, the treble E was gone, and the treble G broke while I was tuning it. I got it in tune pretty easy (it was wretchedly out of tune when I got to it), but it very clearly would have tuned easier and sounded better with new strings. And, besides. Like I said: loud. Lottsa people sitting around trying to sound like they know what's what.

So I picked up the guitar and found the Wifey, then we spent about ten minutes tracking down the kid who had got it for me (they work on commission). He helped me get a strap, which wasn't what I was looking for, but worked out pretty good anyways, and sold me the goods.

After getting back to Rachelle's folks' place, then back over to our house for supplies, I re-strung it. Immediately, it was a different beast. The strings, factory strings which were probably Ernie Ball, were dull and brittle and stiff; the new D'Addario's are silver and bright and supple. The old strings had produced a rattle in the D-G-B strings on the first and second frets; with the new ones, clear as a bell. Back here at our house, I plugged it up to the 15-watt practice amp (this morning, after coffee), and it just absolutely sings.

So Olaf the OLP MM12 has been rescued from the Island of the Lost Toys. Huzzah!

13 Comments:

Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

I was thinking about buyng one of those I saw on eBay.
I already own an OLP, some signature model from one of those eyeliner wearing guys. One humbucker, string thru body (why I got it) and one volume control. Simple. I was gonna tweak it a bit and replace the humbucker, but when I got it, all I had to do was raise the low E string up a bit to lose the buzz. Great guitar for the $100 I paid for it.

I'm up to 7 now too. 6 Electric and 1 Acoustic.
I'm not very good, but I enjoy it.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Shari said...

Yeah, I dropped out of college because I was too distracted by guitar-playing, art-history study buddies to concentrate.

sigh.

I love guitar-playing art-history study buddies.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Lulu--Back in Town said...

Olaf is a wonderful name. :) And I definitely understand the rescuing impulse. I've been doing it with stuffed animals, though, instead. But the occasional sad guitar has made me sniffle and want to rescue her, too. :(

11:54 AM  
Blogger Doc Nagel said...

Since you obviously will no longer be needing the Takamine, please mail it to me at your earliest convenience. Alternatively, you could bring it along to California, when you come. Thank you.

3:17 PM  
Blogger You Gotta Be Kidding You said...

7 guitars and not one electric-acoustic? They don't have great sound but are so convenient.

8:23 AM  
Blogger Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

Jerk-- if you can buy a guitar online, much less on E-BAY, go for it. I can't do it.

Shari-- we all need guitar playing, art-history-english-philosophy buddies.

Lauren-- Thanks! And yeah.

Doc: Define "need."

You: Actually, two of the the 12's are acoustic-electric, I just forget to mention it.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

Dude! WTF!?!

7:45 AM  
Blogger Doc Nagel said...

Please, please, please, never use the words "dude" or "WTF" again. Please. I beg you.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Doc Nagel said...

Even in response to blogspam. Please.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Doc Nagel said...

Please.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Kingfisher said...

"...full of people who are trying to be cooler than each other. (And playing guitar, loudly, trying to drown each other out. I don't. I toddle off to a corner and try to decide if it's love.)"

A perfect description of boors that drive me nuts every day, guitarists or not.

Good call.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

Jimbo, I'm weak.
I came back.
Not from the dead though, so don't worry, I won't be showing up to eat your wifeys face or anything.
I DO like meatloaf though, so if she's a good cook.....

8:42 AM  
Blogger Sweet Darlyn said...

luvfree.com free online dating site was created especially for you so that you can meet new people, share your interests, find new friends, and maybe even life partners. In order to be successful in meeting people, you don't need to wait for someone to message you. Be bold, take the initiative! Write to any users that interest you - after all, there's no such thing as having too many friends. Talking with people from different countries will definitely increase your life experience, too. Your new online friends can listen to your problems and maybe give you some helpful, friendly advice. You'll be able to share your latest news, talk about work and your noisy boss, discuss the weather and meet people who share the same interests.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home