Friday, May 12, 2006

Jerry Lee Has Read Carl Hiassen

So as it turns out, the seasonal job which I predicted would put my blog on hiatus still has me hiating, for reasons which I still can't tell you. Suffice it to say the after the first two projects ended, I volunteered (along with about a hundred others) to stick around and work on the next project. So I'm hiating. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

In the meantime, I started reading a book by Carl Hiassen-- one of the attributes of this particular project is sitting around waiting for the work to come in, which we do rather quickly, then sit around waiting for more work to come in. For the sake of decorum, it is recommended that we bring (or borrow) reading material, in order to spend the down time quietly, as some of us will be completing work while others of us are waiting for more.

SO I had finished reading In the Heart of the Sea, an excellent book by Nathan Philbrick about the ramming of the whaleship Essex by an (apparently) enraged bull sperm whale,* I picked up a book by Carl Hiassen. I had heard good things about his stuff; social parody, dissection of the madcap culture of South Florida (or, as the denizens sometimes refer to it, the F-state), skewering of corrupt officials, etc, etc, etc. So I picked one up.

The one I picked up is entitled Skin Deep. (I know, I know.) It had all the ingredients: social parody, dissection of the madcap culture of South Fla, skewering of corrupt officials, plus a critique of the possibly crooked practice of plastic surgery, etc etc etc. Yeah. I didn't like it.

Which isn't to say it wasn't good. I finished it in a coupla days, and I could see a fair amountof it happening in my head, could even put some face on the roles for an imagined movie (Tom Berenger as the strong, silent retired cop, Mercedes Ruhl as the intrepid TV producer), but it just . . .

Well, it had the feeling of just being too damned easy.

I mean, one of the subplots/plotlines/whatever involved parodying Geraldo Rivera. Seriously. Dude, WTF?

So, if nothing else, I have now read a Carl Hiassen novel. Which is not to say I will never read another one, just that I no longer feel like I should make time to read a Carl Hiassen novel. Which, y'know, I have from time to time.

*The book also details the practices of whaling up to and in the 1830's. They had it coming, the pricks.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What? What? You have from what? Oh, God! the suspense is killing me!

How does it end?

This is one of them thar "cliffhangy" things, isn't it?

1:54 PM  
Blogger Shari said...

tee...heee..

you said hiating.....

1:58 PM  
Blogger Doc Nagel said...

Bobo is puttin' a hiating on Carl Hiassen, is what's happening here.

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home