Thursday, August 14, 2008

Things That I Used To Do, Redux



SO WE recently saw the trailer for the film they have made from this book. SPOILER ALERT: there will be no spoiler coming. Lighten up, Francis. Anyways, after we saw the trailer the Wifey decied to check out the book. So, being that it is one of my husbandly duties to retrieve the books from the library when they come in-- she goes though something like five to eight books a week, seriously-- I got a sneak peak at the thing. I read the blurb on the back and the first six lines of the intro, and I thought I pretty much had it. I tried reading the first chapter, but found myself skimming, so then I put it aside. I gave it one more try before I decided to go ahead and look the thing up on Wikipedia and read the summary.


And I had it. I guessed the entire plot, up to and including the mid-narrative plot twist wherein our heroes are betrayed! (You can hardly call THAT a spoiler.) There was one smaller twist I didn't predict, but it didn't suprise me much.


I usually put this down to "being a writer," but I seem to think that it would be crass to make such a claim in the blogoshpere. So I am going to put it down to . . . The dog. That's right: my dog is telepathic, she intuits plotlines, and then she feeds them into my head to prevent me from enjoying simple pleasures and sci-fi novels.



I don't completely under-stand it, but she assures me it's for the best, and that humankind will benefit in the long run. Besides, who doesn't love a good blame-the-dog joke?

(Of course, I think it's funny, but then again I think "Things That I Used to Do, Redux" is funny. On top of that, I debated myself for a solid three minutes whether "revisited" would be funnier than "redux"-- three minutes, the length of time it takes to make Ramen noodles. So I guess we could put this plot-sniffing phenomenon down to my being a freak, a big, bald freak.)

PSPS: The Wifey read the Ember book, which she found to be quite sloppily written, and started reading its sequel, which she finds isn't any better.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Doc Nagel said...

"Redux" is definitely funnier in this context, especially since one always associates "redux" with someone's being a "big, bald freak."

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home