Wednesday, February 18, 2009

We Now Return You To You Irregularly Scheduled Program

Sorry. Been busy.

This isn't even today's lunch. This is last Tuesday's lunch. I half-meant to post it then, but I had nieces down from up north, so there was some strictly scheduled Uncle Jim Abuse to be attended to.

There's also no movie of the day, not just because I have been busy, but because I recently sat through the entirety of season 3 of It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia in the space of a week, which is actually to say four days, with the result that . . .

Well, I don't know. There are all kinds of different levels on which the show is funny, a couple of dozen others on which it's completely objectionable, it can be appreciated for the sheer audaciousness of the show, it can be dismissed as morally reprehensible . . . And then there's the absolute commitment shown by the writing and the performers, the absolutely take-it-to-the-wall, kamikaze drive, which, I think, and I could be wrong, indicates the presence of a very deep and accurate moral compass . . .

Which is a rather unsettling supposition, since the show's characters get away with morally reprehensible behavior by dint of an absolutely fluffy-light self-consciousness.

I jumped right into season 3 with little trouble; I had seen a couple of eps from earlier, and I knew a fair amount about the writers and the characters going it, but it wouldn't have presented much of an obstacle if I had gone in clean. The episodes are pretty much self contained, and stuff carpetbagged in from previous seasons is either unpacked pretty nicely or funny enough for obvious enough reasons to stand alone. Also, Seasons 1 and 2, which were packaged together, one assumes, on the assumption that the thing would have run its course by the end of the second season, has been listed in our Blockbuster Online queue as status "very long wait" for about four months now. Which is not to say I have given up on said seasons, just that I figured I could stand not to wait. I am glad I chose not to, for I have now seen season 3. And I enjoyed it. And that either makes me a very good person indeed, or Pol Pot.

So, go watch Season 3 of It's Always Sunny! Or don't! Either way, you can be pretty sure you will feel good about it! Or bad. Very, very bad. Have some soup.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Doc Nagel said...

Nevermind that. Where's my order of Hot Morality Noodles?

6:52 PM  
Blogger tiff said...

Soup is good. Never heard of the show.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home