Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Goodnight, Moon

THE UPSHOT of having had a plough-man's lunch is that there is no way to do it without having a highly un-predictable amount of leftovers.
In the most recent case, mostly what I have left is brie and pepperoni. The bread, being a La Brea brand bread, was useless by the next day. I had the other half of the mango just a coupla days ago-- it was utterly beautiful, ripe and sweet and slightly mushy and cold, just gorgeous. And I have two calmatta olives left. Two. No good for anything, really.

But having brie around can lead to some wonderful things, like today's lunch. Which is tuna salad on rye with brie, grilled. Just say that out loud: tuna salad on rye with brie. If the mere words alone don't give you a chill up the spine then, well, I guess you don't like brie. Or tuna. Or me. Go to hell!

Pairing the Saranac Pale Ale with the last Mighty Arrow was indeed illuminating. My Spidey Sense told me to start with the Sara and finish up with the New Belgium, and that was indeed inspired. After the Sara (and with the brie and the highly spicy tuna salad) the Mighty Arrow was light and almost sweet, flowery and kind of . . . bottomless. Except I'm not sure how to describe what I mean by that. All this is by way of saying that I have become a kind of a left-handed fan of the New Belgium and its products. They have been suprising and delighting me in ways that I find terrifyingly unpredictable. It's like living with a gorgeous schizophrenic.

Oh: speaking of which, tomorrow's lunch will probably involve smoked turkey and pepperoni. Which is more like living with a passive-aggressive physicist. I have no idea what I mean by that.

The film of the day is something I have been anticipating for some time. When it came out, the reviews were mostly positive but oddly non-commital, and now I know why. The big plot twist-- if you can call it that-- comes early on, and while there is a small period of homina-homina-homina, where several possible conclusions are up in the air, they commited to the foregone conclusion relatively quickly. After that, the revelations came hard and fast and with stunning regularity, and had way more to do with the truth of the situation rather than the mysteries of it. Which is not to say there were no mysteries: in many ways, this is a very straightforward thriller. Which is why I hesitate to call the plot twist a twist. It's really more of a plot point.

See how coy I'm having to be? This is why the thing was so maddening for reviewers. It would have been so much easier if they could just let on that *** *** ** * ***** and get on with the review.

See? What's so wrong with that?

So do I recommend it? So many things can be done with brie. Never be afraid to experiment with your tuna. Moon is way more than the satisfying sci-fi thriller so many reviewers made it out to be-- mainly, I think, in hopes of enticing potential viewers without actually disclosing that *** *** ** * @#$%ing *****! Anybody want an olive?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home