Monday, April 16, 2007

Gadzooks.

Don Ho is dead.

I'm not what you would call a fan, but I did admire the man. He loved his home and his music and his audience, and there's alot to be said for that. He also knew exactly who he was, and from that provided me with one of my favorite commercials of all time. Take the parentheticals that follow here as piano music being played by Don.

(Bum-de-dum-do, bum-de-de-dum-de-do) "Tiiiiiny bubbles, in the wine . . . "

Offstage voice: "The Champagne's not Korbel!!"

Don pauses, muggs offstage, then (Bum-de-dum-do, bum-de-de-dum-de-do) "Great big bubbles, in the wine, huge, fat, artificially induced bubbles, in the wine . . . "

Not that Korbel is really all that good as champagne goes. If it were really that good, as champagnes go, they wouldn't need to advertise it. But it was a sweet little commercial, which is a rare enough thing as it is, and Don mugged the camera adorably, and besides all that I was having a bad year at the time, and this little moment of bliss was a welcome respite.

I would say Godspeed, but what, frankly, would that mean to someone who lived in Hawaii? Here's to your next paradise.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you're a pallbearer and all, but 2 obits in a row?

7:34 AM  
Blogger something said...

Write something!!!!

3:37 PM  
Blogger KOM said...

"Here's to your next paradise."

Well said. I can't admit to caring for or about the man, accept as a fellow human, but that comment was spot on.

2:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home