Sunday, September 16, 2007

Wordsmiths


ARBORETUM




I sit on the porch with a cup of coffee steaming its way up to my nose and eyes. Partly I am waking up, but mainly I’m just staring out into the thick, green expanse of woods that I wake up to every morning. It’s why I put the trailer here. Well, the land does belong to my family. But why it’s here, beside what’s left of some make-shift road to some forgotten mine, is so I can get up and look out onto this forest.

Mandy is coming up the road. I guess I expected her to come over, because I barely even turn my head as she turns onto the driveway from the road. She parks her old Ford Bronco by the shed. The slamming door reverberates in my aching head. She hesitates before walking up to the porch. As she sits down next to me she says “Jody’s dead.”

“I know,” I say, sipping coffee. I knew it this morning when I woke up on the floor with the whole left side of my face hurting. I don’t know how I knew it, but I did, and it was too much for me to think about first thing. All I wanted was my coffee and to come out here and look at my forest. Sometimes I pretend it’s one of those forests in Mexico I’ve read about, so dense that only two men have been known to cross them in the course of a century. But this morning it’s cold, so it’s a medieval forest, where there might be dragons and griffins lurking. But mostly it was just the green wall I rested my eyes against. “When?”

“Well, his Aunt Sue called me from the hospital just a little while ago. So some time this morning, I expect. She didn’t say. She was pretty shook up.”

I nodded. I’d guessed she would be. It made enough sense that she would be the one to make the call. Jody hadn’t talked to his Mama in maybe a year. And Jody’s Daddy, well, he just isn’t anyone to be making phone calls is all. So it made sense Sue would call, even though she hadn’t been in the bar that night herself.

Mandy puts a hand on my arm. “Look, no one blames you. Everyone knows how Jody’s been.”

But somebody should blame me, I want to say. Nobody made me work at the bar.

“Still,” Mandy said, “you may have to find somewhere else to call home for a little while.”

I look out at the forest, and suddenly the only thing I can see is Jody’s face as he came across the bar, beer bottle in hand, that crazy sneer in his eyes. I half remembered the feeling of the gin bottle in my hand, the sweep of my arm along the bar.

“No,” I say. Somewhere else to live, maybe. But home is where the heart is.

6 Comments:

Blogger Craver said...

Niiiice story.
I like the 'feel' of it.
I especially like the narrators description of the view. There is a similar place in my life and I feel very much this way about it.

If I had to criticize - it would be this... Chevy didn't make the Bronco - Ford did. Some NASCAR freak stumbles on this, and there's gonna be a fight. I'm jes' sayin.


Nice work, really.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

What the hell was I thinking? Glad you caught that. Man. How embarassing.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Johnny Virgil said...

I also liked it.

The only thing I would fix is the first it's should be its.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Bobo the Wandering Pallbearer said...

Gad. So I can write, but I can't punctuate, and I don't know my Fords from my Chevys. What good am I, anyways?

1:40 PM  
Blogger tfmtkaytfo said...

Call me acritic, but this sentence caught me as awkward and possibly not necessar:

"I don’t know how I knew it, but I did, and it was too much for me to think about first thing."

There has got to be a way to say that in fewer words...

That being said, the second part of that para threw me down - because I know what that guy is talking about!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Middle Girl said...

Good flow and some vivid imagery.
This sentence:
Mandy is coming up the road. I guess I expected her to come over, because I barely even turn my head as she turns onto the driveway from the road. --reads a bit awkward to me.

I have questions, chief among them--what is the relationship between Jody and the narrator and why might the narrator have to leave his hilltop haven?

Good tale.

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home