Monday, March 02, 2009

What's Going On

SO here we go again. Chili cheese fries can be addictive.
This was actually just a perparation, a prelude, to this:
This is the chili-cheese grilled sandwich, something that I
stumbled into during my last year of college, in the name of stretching the utility of a can of chili as far as possible. (Actually, this is just a picture of a grilled ham and cheese, but I could not find the pic I took of the chili-cheese monster.) Anywho, the iteration is basically a grilled cheese sandwich with a layer of chili in the middle. It is insanely good, especially with beer and fries. (And the beer was, in fact, the Red Hook Longhammer IPA, which went along like a dream.) (The beer with the chili cheese fries was a Saranac pale ale folowed by the brown ale, which was beautiful; the pale started out strong against the spicy smack of the chili, and then the brown ale cozzied right up with its slight, sweet undernote. Utterly gorgeous.
But, in fact, this is what's going on today.
Reports of accumulation varied wildly; predictions of traffic stoppages and the catalogues of closings did as well, but there were people on the road as early as eight this morning (as far as I know, since that's about the time I got up). Normally this much snow would cripple my town for a week, but thus far the melt-off has been rapid and comprehensive. Of course, there will be the ubiquitous talk of "re-freezing" overnight, something that has never actually happened as far as I know.
But it's been enough of an excuse to ground myself for the day, sit in and read junk on the internet and have chili cheese fries and beer. The Wifey got off to work about a quarter past eleven, and since then it's just been me and the dog, staying in and watching the snow melt.
The closest thing we have had to a Film of the Day was when we put in Babylon AD about a week ago, which was a huge mistake. We watched the whole damned thing, and it never once stopped to make sense. The whole damned thing just rolled along without explanation. Not only do I not recommend it, I still, to this day, feel insulted that it was ever made,* insulted that it was ever distributed, insulted that it was ever transferred to DVD format, insulted that it was stocked at Blockbuster Online, insulted that it was ever mailed to my house, insulted that it was ever brought inside, insulted that it was put into the DVD player, and insulted that I sat there during the whole goddamned thing and expected it to make, at some point, at least once, some kind of goddamned sense. Although that last part is realistically my own stupid fault.

*I suspect that editing may have been a part of the problem, but it would seem an odd thing for all of expositive scenes/speeches to have been left on the cutting room floor.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home