Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Secret Lives Of Ommlettes*



AND SO I say again: Yes! Eggs and beer? Yes, I say! Yes!


It might not look like it, but this is one of the most successful ommlettes I have made in recent memory. For the record, the fillings are white American, orange American, 3 cheese Mexican blend, ham, finely chopped shallot, and a generous squirt of Plochman's yellow mustard. The toast slices, rather than being buttered, were slathered with a Grey Poupon. I do like my mustard.
The object did stick just a little and rupture a bit on delivery from skillet to plate, but the cookingprocess was in precisely the right state when this happened, so that the carry-over heat did the last touch of cooking to the eggs as I got the rest of the accoutrements together. Poifect!

The beers are the Saranac Black Forest and Pale Ale, which teamed up like Briscoe & Green.

The film of the day is not Let The Right One In, but more about that in a bit. The lunchtime diversion was supposed to be Tony Bourdain's most recent show on Viet Nam, in which he claimed to be planning to move there for a year to work on a novel (or so claimed the Time Warner Cable program guide description). The first time I watched it, I missed the last 20 minutes or so, as the fatigue of a most busy weekend filled with later-than-usual nights caught up with me, so I was curious to see if those missing 20 minutes contained anything more in the way of a conviction that Bourdain is really going native, and what, if anything, that might mean for the series.


Instead, the program being offered was the original Viet Nam show, from, I think, a year ago. As I was cooking while the first reel unspooled, I didn't immediately make the connection (later, while eating, I managed to put the pieces together), but as the thing went on I began to wonder: was there an outcry such that the Travel Channel-- The Travel Channel-- decided it was too risky to re-run the show? Were people so traumatized by the prospect of Tony completely and officially departing the States that watching it again might cause a rift in the social fabric? And if so, what kind of world are we living in?



Let The Right One In I will be holding off on for awhile. We didn't get the chance to see it in a theater, and the Wife has proclaimed that she has nothing in the way of an interest in seeing it on DVD as of even date (just recently released). And while everything I have heard about it has suggested that it is a very well made and moving film, Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii . . . I'm waiting until one day it's just on. I have this strange feeling that the suprise in store for me is that all those film critics didn't see this to be as transparent and manipulative as I did. Ihave even developed a very specific theory as to which scene this somewhat ubiquitous still from the film appears in. You don't want to know; it'd either be a spoiler of sorts, or your wouldn't give a flying rat's ass.

*For those of you who have not bothered to wonder why I keep misspelling "omlette," it's supposed to have been a meditation gag. The egg dish being such a calming force as to make one go "Ommmmmm . . . " No one got it, it's gotten more than old, and I now declare said old pale gag dead and buried.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home