Thursday, March 26, 2009

There are so many layers to this one, it's hard to know where to start.

First off, in the Law of Unintended Consequences department, you can tell by this photo that this is a two-toned sammich. The two-tone-edness was unintentional as the frying pan was not as hot as I expected to begin with and hotter than I thought at the end; the picture was actually meant to show off the girth of the beast, which I don't think it does very well.

Next (next?), this is another example of what I have taken to calling the cheese-bomb: two slices of orange cheeze planted in the outside layers. The basic technique for making the fried bologna sandwich is to fry the bologna and apply the white American right around the time the second side is finishing, then layer the bologna slices on the bread as they come out of the pan; next (next?), after giving the pan a quick but thorough wash, grill as you would any other sandwich. The cheese-bombing makes . . . A difference. Not all the difference, but a difference.

And then there's the mustard: Plochman's on one side, Ka-me Chinese style on the other. This is a fairly complex beast for a fried bologna sandwich.

The movie of the day was almost this.

Almost. I mean, it's been fun enough, but there are large swaths of it I have kind of drifted through. It's good enough for a political/historio thriller, but there are aspects to it that make me wonder why anyone-- the writer of the novel, the adapter of the screenplay, the director, the actors, me-- bothered. Everything about it is impressive, especially for a TV movie (although, to be fair, it's a BBC TV movie, which in American terms is alot like being an HBO production, in terms of quality), but the plot has shifted like 5 times since they started, and I am starting to wonder if the grand plot twist that is headed my way is really going to be all that worth waiting for.

So I finally ditched it for the time being and switched over to an old Law & Order, as I want to finish the sandwich and read this article at the Onion AV Club without feeling like I am missing something. I may finish it up later, or I may wait and watch the rest of it later on with the Wifey. But I can recommend it. The cinematography is wonderfully stark, and, if nothing else, Danny Craig and Gabe Macht are clearly having a hell of a lot of fun.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home